If there’s one cleaning task I used to put off the most, it was definitely cleaning the tub and shower. It felt like it took forever! And it never ended up feeling or looking as clean as I’d have liked it, even after repeated scrubbing. After a while, I was starting to suspect that our hard water was combining with the soap scum to form an impenetrable layer of super-scum that simply couldn’t be cleaned. Keep reading and see how to make this powerful DIY shower cleaner and soap scum remover!
I mixed up a batch of the homemade shower cleaner and sprayed it liberally around the tub. I let the spray work its magic for an hour or so, and then wiped it down with a sponge and rinsed everything off. And I was honestly shocked! This cleaner had done what so many other bathroom products had failed to do. It had managed to penetrate that stubborn, grimy, super-scum layer to reveal the clean, shiny surface underneath. I didn’t even know it could look that clean! Here’s how you can make your own homemade shower cleaner.
First off, you will need the following ingredient:
– a spray bottle
– 1 part Dawn dishwashing liquid
– 1 part white vinegar
Here are the instructions:
1. Measure out equal amounts of Dawn soap and white vinegar.
2. Heat the white vinegar in your microwave until hot, then pour it into your spray bottle.
3. Pour the Dawn soap into the bottle as well, then put the lid on and gently shake to mix.
4. Spray liberally around your tub and/or shower. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes to an hour, then scrub and rinse well.
When using, make sure your bathroom is as well-ventilated as possible. Turn on the fan and open any windows, because this stuff is potent. It smells really strongly of vinegar right after spraying it. If you really can’t stand the smell of vinegar, you could throw a bandana around your mouth and nose while you’re using the cleaner. But the end result is well worth it, I promise!