Everyone runs into bathroom mold issues at some point. The humidity of the bathroom, combined with soap scum and other residues, creates the perfect environment for icky mold to grow. Mold can be harmful, so large areas of mold should be cleaned and decontaminated by a professional. But those little spots of mold in the corners of your shower can be cleaned easily, and naturally, too! Hence, I’ll be showing you how to make an all-natural cleaner that will help you get rid of those unsightly mold spots in your tub and shower. Clove oil has anti-fungal properties that actually kill mold spores, rather than just giving the appearance of cleanliness. And it’s easy to make!
The ingredients you will need to make this DIY are:
– 1 Tbsp whole cloves
– 1 cup olive oil
– Cotton string
– Mason jar
– Aluminum foil
– Metal or glass mixing bowl
– Spray bottle
Here you have the instructions:
1. Place the whole cloves in a coffee grinder or mortar and break them down into small, evenly-sized pieces.
2. Fold a 1’ square of cheesecloth in half, then fold it in half again. Place the ground cloves in the center of the folded cheesecloth, then gather the corners of the cloth in the center. Secure the corners of the cheesecloth together with a piece of cotton string to form a satchel.
3. Pour 1 cup of olive oil into a glass jar, then submerge the satchel of cloves in the oil. Cover the top of the jar with a piece of aluminum foil.
4. Next, fill a small saucepan about halfway with water, then bring it to a simmer on your stovetop. Place your metal or glass bowl over the pan to create a double-boiler, then place your glass jar with the cloves right into the bowl. Let the jar sit suspended over the simmering water for at least an hour.
5. When the time is up, remove the cheesecloth satchel and discard it. Let the clove oil cool completely before using.
To use, add one teaspoon of your clove oil to a small spray bottle, along with 2 ounces of water. Shake well to combine, and spray liberally onto areas affected by mold. Let the oil work its magic for about 20 minutes, then wipe clean. Follow up with a tile and grout cleaner to clean up discolored areas. Store your extra clove oil in an airtight container for later use.