Flies nest in our homes regardless the season in their search for food, water and a warm place to live. As there isn’t no room both for humans and flies in the same house something must be done to send these buzzing insects away.
How to send flies out of the house?
As we already know prevention is better than cure, so the best way to keep flies away is to be a bad guest and limit their access to food and water. Or you can follow the next steps to prevent a fly infestation:
- Make sure all food waste is correctly disposed of in a bin with a lid
- Keep outside bins secure with sealed lids and away from windows and doors
- Clean up food and water spills as soon as they occur
- Keep your food covered to stop flies landing and subsequently feeding off your plate
- Keep windows and doors closed or install fly screens to keep out home-invaders
- Deny flies access by keeping doors closed after dark, or block out the light with curtains
- Clean up after your pets, as faeces is the perfect breeding place for flies
- Remove any dead flies, as these can be a food source for other pests such as carpet beetles
In case you couldn’t prevent a fly infestation and you sleep with the enemy, try using the following natural methods to send flies away from your house:
- Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil onto a cloth and hang them near doors or windows
- Place mint on kitchen window sills — this will also keep them away
- Cut up fresh orange peel and place onto a plate
- Citronella candles can help to keep flies away, especially in the garden
However, flies can easily be repelled if you use all sort of fly sprays found on the market shelves. But keep in mind that after using such spray you have leave the room and let it ventilate for at least half an hour. During this time, chemicals and other toxic fumes will be gone and you will be able to breathe.